Csinieb is a small, Hungarian company that we know for making amazing custom coats. We tested and reviewed their Sport Coat and the Premium Comfort Coat before and now we had the chance to try out their new, uniquely designed Butterfly Harness as well!
Since they just started selling collars, leashes, and harnesses, it isn’t on their website yet. You can find more information about these on their Facebook site.
The details of the Csinieb Butterfly harness
The Butterfly harness is made from an always-changing selection of patterns and colors so feel free to reach out to them if you have something in mind that you haven’t seen on their sites yet. ;)
Our harness was custom made for Mia to ensure the best fit since only the chest strap is adjustable. It has only one buckle on the chest strap which means that the neck part has to go over the head of the dog when putting it on.
The unique design of this harness leaves more room around the neck since the straps meet a little farther behind the neck than most Y-harnesses. This makes it possible to put it on a big-headed dog without having a buckle on the neck-straps.
The yellow inside of the harness is made from softshell which is a light and durable material. The harness has nice stitches and finishes, no threads are coming loose, there are no parts that look unfinished.
Since there are only one buckle and a slider on the left side, the chest strap is not stiched to the part that goes between the legs, instead, it can slide freely. The buckle also fits through this loop so if you don’t want to lift the dog’s leg to put the harness on, you can just undo the chest strap, and pull it through this loop once it is on the dog.
Butterfly Harness Review
The Csinieb Butterfly harness has a simple and clean design without much padding that would collect mud. It doesn’t have a handle either which could get stuck on bushes.
The harness leaves enough room for free shoulder movement, we haven’t had any trouble with chafing on the inside of the front legs or in the armpits.
The con of having thin straps is that the harness can easily turn to the side when it is pulled by the leash. The truth is that this would occur in case of all harnesses, it is only more visible with one that has a thinner part between the legs - or does not have one at all like the Norwegian style harnesses.
The loose hanging chest part is usually a problem with harnesses that sit farther behind the armpits, simply because gravity will pull them forward when the dog runs, or when they got heavier from the water and mud. In the case of the Butterfly harness, you can see a slight loosening on the chest but it isn’t as significant as it would be in case of a more padded one.
The harness is so light that the small weight of the plastic buckle on the left side is causing it to slightly turn when the dog is running around off-leash. It is not putting pressure on the right leg so it is not going to cause any issues, but we wanted to mention it since it is visible on many photos that the harness is not positioned exactly in the middle.
While we wouldn’t say this harness was made with hiking in mind, we did use it a few hikes to see how it works. We appreciate that the straps do not collect much mud and water. They also dry fast and are easy to clean which comes in handy after all those rainy trails in the spring.
The Csinieb Butterfly harness and the matching leash are beautiful inside out. We love the colorful and unique patterns and color combinations that they use while they keep the design clean and simple. The thin material does not mean it is a weak harness, we haven’t seen any signs of tear, wear, or fading in color over the last three months while we have been testing it.
Functionality Review of the Butterfly harness
• No-pull correction: It does not have a no-pull ring. This design would probably not work well as a no-pull harness even with an added front-ring since the harness would only turn on the dog.
• Running/Biking: You could try bikejoring, jogging, etc. with this harness to see if your dog pulls into it but you want something with more padding on the chest for pulling sports.
• Hiking: It’s a surprisingly sturdy and durable harness that probably lasts long, even with frequent hikes. For hiking, we would prefer a harness with a handle to help out the dog if needed but on the other hand, this one will not get stuck on branches.
• City walk: This is probably the best use case for this harness! It is pretty, simple, visible, and easy to clean!
• Easy to put on/adjust: It has one buckle which means the neck part goes over the head, and you have to lift one leg to put it on the dog unless you want to pull the chest straps through that loop to connect it to the part between the legs. It can be done but it’s not the easiest if your dog is jumping around from excitement while you are putting on the gear before heading out.
• Visibility: the softshell material and the colors are highly visible, but it all depends on the pattern and colors you ask for since it is a custom made harness. Ours does not have reflective parts.
Where to buy
You can buy most of their products on their website and check out their Butterfly harness on their Facebook site since that’s not on their website yet.
As always, be sure the harness is a good fit for YOUR dog. If you need help deciding, read our article on harness fitting.
If you have a hard time with their Hungarian website, shoot them an email to email@example.com, describing what you have in mind. They do ship abroad ;)
Many of you asked Mia’s measurements to better understand the different products’ fit. Your best chance of finding a good fitting gear is always to measure (and remeasure) your dog. Even we grab the measuring tape before getting a new product - even though we tested a lot of them, and have a good feeling of her size by now.
I share her measurements below, but don’t go ahead and order the same size just because your dog is similar to Mia ;)
• Shoulder height: 19.5 inches (50 cm)
• Weight: 37-44 pounds (17-20 kg)
• Widest chest circumference (where the most harness would have the chest strap): 25-26 inches (63-65 cm)
• Neck circumference for collars: 15-16 inches (38-40 cm)
• Back lengths: 22 inches (56 cm)